The Best Places to Hold Destination Weddings
Destination weddings are a popular choice for couples who want to celebrate their special day uniquely and memorably. There are many different factors to consider when choosing a destination wedding location, such as the climate, the cost, and the availability of venues and vendors.
From the truly luxurious to the budget-friendly and affordable, we’re going to cover some of the best places to hold destination weddings and cover some insider tips in case you planning your wedding yourself.
All of the Options Available to You:
Before we share some of the most popular places to hold destination weddings, we thought we should cover some of the types of venues and landscapes available to you to consider:
- Beaches: Beach weddings are always a popular choice for couples looking to tie the knot in a picturesque location. Some popular beach destinations for weddings include Hawaii, the Caribbean, and the Maldives.
- Mountains: If you and your partner are outdoor enthusiasts, a wedding in the mountains might be an elevated option. Popular destinations for mountain weddings include Aspen, Colorado, and Banff, Canada.
- Vineyards: For those who love wine and beautiful scenery, a vineyard wedding might be a rustic choice. Napa Valley, California, and Tuscany, Italy, are popular vineyard wedding destinations.
- Castles: For a fairy tale wedding, couples may choose to get married in a castle. Some popular destinations for castle weddings include the Loire Valley in France, Scotland, and Ireland.
- Historic cities: Many couples opt to get married in historic cities with classical architecture and charming streets. Some popular destinations for historic city weddings include Prague, Venice, and Rome.
- Safari: For a unique wedding experience, couples may choose to get married on a safari. Tanzania, South Africa, and Kenya are popular safari wedding destinations.
- Islands: For those looking for a more secluded and intimate wedding experience, a wedding on a private island may be a luxurious choice. Fiji, Bali, and the Bahamas are popular island wedding destinations.
The Best Destinations Around the World
Many different places can be considered for a destination wedding. Some of the most popular options include:
The Caribbean: The Caribbean is one of the best places to get married. From the turquoise waters of the Bahamas to the lush landscapes of St. Lucia, the Caribbean offers some of the world’s most stunning backdrops for your special day.
With miles and miles of powdery white sand and endless sunshine, the Caribbean is a beach lover’s paradise. Imagine saying your vows on a secluded stretch of sand, with the sound of the waves lapping at the shore.
Mexico: Mexico is another popular destination for destination weddings. The country offers a variety of different landscapes, from beaches and jungles to cities and towns. Couples can choose to exchange vows on a picturesque beach in Cancun or along the Riviera Maya, with the turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea as a gorgeous backdrop. Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos are also popular choices for beach weddings in Mexico.
For those who want a more traditional wedding, Mexico’s cities and towns offer charming colonial architecture and historic venues. San Miguel de Allende is a popular destination for couples seeking a romantic and intimate wedding in a quaint Mexican town.
Hawaii: Hawaii is a beautiful and romantic destination for weddings. The islands offer a variety of dark and light-colored beaches, lush rainforests, and 360 views. Couples can choose from a range of wedding venues, from luxurious beachfront resorts to intimate gardens and chapels. Hawaii is well-known for its signature sunsets, making it a scenic backdrop for a romantic wedding ceremony.
Many couples opt for a traditional Hawaiian wedding ceremony, which may include a lei exchange and a hula performance. Other popular options include a Christian or non-denominational ceremony.
Europe: Europe is a popular destination for destination weddings. The continent offers a variety of different cultures, languages, and landscapes. From the rolling hills of Tuscany, the fairy tale castles of France, the iconic coastlines of Greece and Portugal, and the charming cobblestone streets of Prague, Europe has something for everyone.
One of the main benefits of having a destination wedding in Europe is the abundance of historical venues such as castles, manor houses, and vineyards that offer a unique and romantic setting. Many of these venues also offer on-site accommodation or are located close to hotels, making it easy for guests to enjoy the surrounding areas before and after the wedding.
Asia: Asia is a popular destination for destination weddings. The continent offers a variety of different cultures, languages, and landscapes. From the snow-capped peaks of the Himalayas to the tropical beaches of Thailand and Indonesia, Asia has something to suit every wedding fantasy.
One of the most popular destinations for destination weddings in Asia is Bali, Indonesia. With its stunning beaches, lush greenery, and rich cultural heritage, Bali has become a hotspot for couples looking to say their vows in a tropical paradise. The island also boasts some of the world’s most luxurious resorts and villas, making it the perfect setting for a dream wedding.
The Cost of a Destination Wedding
The cost of a destination wedding can vary depending on the location, the time of year, and the number of guests. However, in general, destination weddings are more expensive than traditional weddings. This is due to the cost of travel, accommodation, and other expenses.
For those looking to save money on a destination wedding without breaking the bank, choosing an all-inclusive resort can be an excellent cost-saving option. An all-inclusive resort typically includes accommodations, meals, drinks, and activities, making it a perfect option for budget-conscious couples.
Planning a Destination Wedding
The first step in planning a destination wedding is to choose a location. Consider a place that is meaningful to you and your partner, or somewhere that you’ve always wanted to visit. Some popular destinations for weddings include tropical islands, vineyards, and historic cities.
Once you have chosen a location, research the local laws and requirements for getting married there. You need to check if the local laws allow you to get married there and if there are any requirements such as residency, marriage licenses, or other types of paperwork.
The next step is to choose a venue. Research venues in your chosen location, and consider factors such as size, style, and availability. Keep in mind that some venues may have blackout dates or other restrictions, so be sure to check availability well in advance.
Once you have chosen a venue, it’s time to plan the details of your wedding. Consider hiring a wedding planner who specializes in destination weddings to help with logistics such as travel arrangements, accommodations, and vendor selection. Your wedding planner will help you in arranging all details of your big day, such as the number of guests, catering, decoration, and photography.
It’s important to keep your guests in mind when planning a destination wedding. Be sure to give them plenty of notice, so they can make travel arrangements and clear their schedules. Provide them with information about the location, including travel tips, accommodations, and activities in the area. You may also want to provide guests with a welcome package that includes maps, brochures, and any other pertinent information.
Finally, be prepared for unexpected situations. Travel plans, vendor cancellations, and weather can all cause last-minute complications. Be sure to have contingency plans in place and work closely with your planner to resolve any issues that arise.
Tips for Planning Your Destination Wedding
- Choose a location that is easy for your guests to get to. If you have a lot of guests who are coming from different parts of the world, you will want to choose a location that is easy for them to get to.
- Start planning early. The earlier you start planning, the less stress you will have.
- Make sure that you have all of the necessary paperwork and documentation. You will need to obtain a marriage license and file some paperwork with the government.
- Choose an affordable location. Destination weddings can be expensive, so you will want to choose a location that is affordable for your budget.
- Be flexible. Things don’t always go according to plan, so you will need to be flexible.
- Have fun! Destination weddings are a great way to celebrate your special day with your loved ones.
Destination weddings can be the ultimate way to plan your special day. However, it is important to do your research and to plan carefully. By taking the time to plan your destination wedding, you can create a day that you and your guests will cherish for years to come.