In life, there are ups and downs, just like the characters Clint Eastwood portrays in his movies, we should be headstrong, strong-willed, and tenacious and we should have the willpower to overcome the adversaries, hurdles, and obstacles that life offers us.
51 Clint Eastwood Movie Quotes
1. “Because I knew someone like you once and there was no one there to help. Now, get moving.” – A Fistful of Dollars, 1964
2. “The heart, Ramon. Don’t forget the heart. Aim for the heart, or you’ll never stop me.” – A Fistful of Dollars, 1964
3. “You see, in this world, there’s two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.” – The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, 1966
4. “Crook: [during a diner robbery] What’s you doing, you pigheadsucka?
Harry Callahan: Every day for the past ten years, Loretta there’s been giving me a large black coffee, today she gives me a large black coffee only it has sugar in it, a lotta sugar. I just came back to complain. Now, you boys put those guns down.
Crook: Say what?
Harry Callahan: Well, we’re not just gonna let you walk out of here.
Crook: Who’s we sucka?
Harry Callahan: [slowly drawing his .44 Magnum] Smith and Wesson… and me. [Callahan dares a crook to shoot his hostage]
Harry Callahan: Go ahead, make my day.” – Sudden Impact, 1983
5. “Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn’t have messed with? That’s me.” – Gran Torino, 2008
6. “Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” – The Outlaw Josey Wales, 1976
7. “Will Munny: It’s a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he’s got and all he’s ever gonna have.
The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.” – Unforgiven, 1992
8. “A ranch? You mean get up at sunrise, go to bed at sunset, rearin’ the saddle all day. No thanks, sister, I’d rather be dead. No sister, there’s this town called San Francisco that’s booming. And if I get this stake, well, I’m gonna’ open myself up the biggest gambling saloon in the whole area. With long red mahogany bars and green felt tables. And we’ll play roulette, and dice and Faurot and all those wonderful games. And I realize that doesn’t mean much to you, but to me, that’s livin’.” – Two Mules for Sister Sara, 1970
9. “That was no miracle, just an accident and life is full of ’em.” – Two Mules for Sister Sara, 1970
10. “Vince: Well, you can take an early retirement, collect disability. With the pension, we offer you should be comfortable.
Gus: Save it. Being comfortable is overrated.” – Trouble with the Curve, 2012
11. “You got your whole life ahead of you, but for me, I finish things.” – Gran Torino, 2008
12. “Girlie, tough ain’t enough.” – Million Dollar Baby, 2004
13. “Tiny, Bar Bouncer: I’ll put you in the hospital, old man.
Frank Corvin: Yeah? Well, I’ve got Medicare. Go ahead and shoot your best shot!” – Space Cowboys, 2000
14. “Col. William ‘Hawk’ Hawkins: What are you doing here?
Frank Corvin: Keeping a promise I made years ago.” – Space Cowboys, 2000
15. “Clock’s ticking, Bob. And I’m only getting older.” – Space Cowboys, 2000
16. “This kind of certainty comes but just once in a lifetime.” – The Bridges of Madison County, 1995
17. “Things change. They always do, it’s one of the things of nature. Most people are afraid of change, but if you look at it as something you can always count on, then it can be a comfort.” – The Bridges of Madison County, 1995
18. “Anyone gets hit, sing out. Slap iron to it. It’s the fastest way to stop the blood.” – The Outlaw Josey Wales
19. “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.” – Heartbreak Ridge, 1986
20. “When a man with .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said, the man with a pistol’s a dead man. Let’s see if that’s true. Go ahead, load up and shoot.” – A Fistful of Dollars, 1964
21. “Two hundred thousand dollars is a lot of money. We’re gonna have to earn it.” – The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, 1966
22. “A-ah. Intelligence reports that the Air Corps knocking ’em out by day and the Germans rebuilding ’em by night. Now, all we have to do is get there tomorrow morning at dawn, and we got ourselves a bridge.” – Kelly’s Heroes, 1970
23. “I have a feeling it’s really gonna be a good, long battle.” – The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, 1966
24. “I’m gonna have to carry ya, huh?” – Hang ‘Em High, 1968
25. “No, because you’re gonna be up there, baby, and I’ll be right outside showing you which way to go.” – Kelly’s Heroes, 1970
26. “Oh, I think I’ll be able to hang around for just a little bit longer.” – The Beguiled, 1971
27. “Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along.” – Dirty Harry, 1971
28. “Sergeant, this bank’s not gonna fall into the hands of the American army. It’s gonna fall in our hands. You see, we’re just a private enterprise operation.” – Kelly’s Heroes, 1970
29. “Well I haven’t exactly been the monk of the month or anything like that but I have been making an effort.” – Play Misty for Me, 1971
30. “Then you live with it.” – High Plains Drifter, 1973
With every decision we make about things, we do have rewards or consequences at the end of each task. And if we make wrong decisions, we have to accept that we are wrong and we have to learn from our mistakes, use them as a motivation to better ourselves, and what best way to do this than living with what we did and applying what we have learned from the past mistakes and not making the same mistakes again.
31. “Aw, don’t do that, son. I mean all those people down there looking up? The fire chief looking up, his face?” – Dirty Harry, 1971
32. “Only when there’s a climb. Then the Eiger birds start flocking in.” – The Eiger Sanction, 1975
33. “Briggs, I hate the goddamn system! But until someone comes along with changes that make sense, I’ll stick with it.” – Magnum Force, 1973
34. “Good. Then… go on home, break out the books and study your little ass off. That’s the best way to maintain a “B” average. Don’t study it all off.” – The Eiger Sanction, 1975
35. “Some of you will continue in your education. Some of you will continue with your interest in art. Some of you will have interests other than that. If we’ve learned nothing else this year, I hope you’ve learned the stupidity of the statement that art belongs to the world. ‘Cause art belongs to the cultivated who can appreciate it. The majority of the great unwashed does not fit into this category… and neither, I’m sorry to say, do most of you.” – The Eiger Sanction, 1975
36. “There’s plain few problems can’t be solved with a little sweat and hard work.” – Pale Rider, 1985
37. “A hand out is what you get from the government, a hand up is what you get from a friend.” – Any Which Way You Can, 1980
38. “Don’t worry… I’m not going to let anything happen to you.” – Every Which Way but Loose, 1978
39. “We both know why Blakelock picked me for the job. I’m gonna prove he’s wrong.” – The Gauntlet, 1977
Detective Ben Shockley, Clint Eastwood’s character, shows his tenacity and his will to prove to Blakelock that he’s wrong in this quote. We can say that this is about proving that you can do things and you can prove to the naysayers that you can do and excel at things they expect you to fail at.
40. “I’m who I want to be.” – Bronco Billy, 1980
This quote from Bronco Billy shows how we affect what people see in us. Thus, we are who we want to be and by this, we dictate how people see us. You are your own master and you can do whatever you want. You have the power and control over yourself.
41. “No, I do quite well all by myself.” – Honkytonk Man, 1982
Clint Eastwood’s character, Red Stovall, pertains to an independent man who can do things on his own. Just like in life, we should learn how to keep moving forward, and look for things, events or happenings that can motivate us to keep moving even if we are all by ourselves.
42. “Twenty-eight years ago I borrowed 40 dollars from my father, packed up an old, beat up suitcase, took a bus and came here. I was seventeen at the time. While I walked through the French Quarter, I looked out over the Mississippi and swore I’d never leave.” – Tightrope, 1984
43. “You see, we got a problem, you and me. We don’t like each other very much, but we have to take a trip together. Now you can come along peacefully or you can be a pain in the ass. But I’m warning ya, you mess around and I’ll put the cuffs on you. You talk dirty, I gag ya, if you run, I’ll shoot you. My name is Shockley, and we’ve got a plane to catch. Let’s go.” – The Gauntlet, 1977
44. “She wants to play lumberjack, she’s going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.” – The Enforcer, 1976
This quote from the Enforcer tells us that if you really want something, you have to work hard for it and you have to learn how to do it. If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. You have to do your part, you shouldn’t rely on other people to do it for you.
45. “Hell, no. But when I find her, I’m gonna take off that guy she’s with… my way.” – Every Which Way but Loose, 1978
46. “Yeah, I can fly it. I’m the best there is.” – Firefox, 1982
Our trust in ourselves can make things happen, like Clint Eastwood’s character in this movie, he was asked if he can fly the plane and all he did was believe in himself that he was the best and he was the right one to fly the plane. And like in life, if you think you are going to fail even before a task has started, you will fail most likely, this quote teaches us to have courage and believe in ourselves.
47. “I’ve got a special message for you, little pardners, out there. I want you to finish your oatmeal at breakfast and do as your mom and pa tell you because they know best. Don’t ever tell a lie and say your prayers at night before you go to bed. And as our friends south of the border say, ‘Adios, amigos.'” – Bronco Billy, 1980
48. “Give him my best…” – The Enforcer, 1976
49. “At least someone knows I tried.” – The Gauntlet, 1977
50. “How ’bout that. I feel pretty good, really. It’s like I always tell ya kid, you gotta fight when you think it’s the right thing to do. Otherwise, you feel like your gut’s full of puss. Even if you get the hell beat outta ya, if ya fight, ya feel ok about it.” – White Hunter Black Heart, 1990
51. “Remember, tomorrow is promised to no one.” – Absolute Power, 1997
Life is not constant; you have the power to make your future. With every decision you make in life, there’s always a thing that’s going to happen. You are the architect of your own future. You have the power to change what people say about you.
We should learn how to look for the positive side of things and use them to motivate ourselves into working more, working hard and working smart.
image credit: telegraph.co.uk