Cannabis has been sought for its pleasurable and therapeutic effects. One of the best ways to consume it is by smoking. However, smoking weed directly can be harsh to the respiratory system, due to plant remains, like tar or weed deposit, possibly entering the nose and mouth down the lungs. Even veteran cannabis smokers still commit the same big mistake of inhaling weed incorrectly.
So, how should you inhale weed? To get the most out of your flower and not waste your prize black African magic strain, learn the best ways to inhale cannabis by reading below.
Signs You’re Not Inhaling Weed Properly
One telltale sign that you’re not inhaling weed the proper way is when you’re coughing. If you tend to always cough after a deep inhalation, it means that the tar and resin are entering into the lungs, the amount of cannabis is too much, and the heat is too high.
As tar and resin travel through your pharynx down to the lung tissue, the body produces mucus as a defense mechanism and clean the lungs by coughing. Along with coughing, your throat may feel itchy or irritated, too.
One of the ways to stop coughing and unwanted effects when inhaling weed is by using a powerful carbon filter.
Use A Carbon Filter
Instead of inhaling weed right through your mouth and nose, using a carbon filter is one way to keep weed or resin deposit away from your lungs. Mooselabs MouthPeace explains that the triple-layered carbon filter acts as a barrier to protect your lungs from tar, resin (weed) deposit, and contaminates as you savor the flavor and aroma of your favorite cannabis strain.
Here’s how a carbon filter works:
• The carbon filter traps resin deposits or cleans the smoke before it reaches your lungs.
• Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the cannabis compound or cannabinoid that produces psychoactive effects, is preserved by using a weed smoking device with a triple-layered carbon filter.
• Prevent cross-contamination of germs when bongs are shared.
Use A Grinder
Grinders should be part of every cannabis users’ paraphernalia. How the weed is ground reflects the quality of your inhalation experience.
Regardless of what cannabis smoking method you use, it’s imperative to use a grinder to ensure fine grind cannabis. This creates a smooth-burning bowl and good airflow, preventing clogs or ‘hot spots.’
For a smooth cannabis smoking experience, choose a good quality cannabis grinder.
Draw Smoke Into Your Mouth
When smoking weed, it’s advisable to draw the smoke first into your mouth before inhaling into your lungs. This will help rolled marijuana to burn more evenly for a smoother and more enjoyable hit. Use your cheeks to draw smoke, like smoking a cigar.
Diaphragmatic breathing, deep breathing, or belly breathing is a breathing technique that uses the diaphragm when inhaling and exhaling. The diaphragm is an important respiratory muscle below the lungs that expand and contract as you inhale and exhale air.
Correct diaphragmatic breathing can help you inhale weed properly. Thus, perform diaphragmatic breathing until it becomes second nature.
Here’s how to do diaphragmatic breathing:
• Place your hand on your tummy while lying or sitting comfortably. Feel your belly expand as you breathe in slowly.
• As you exhale slowly, feel your diaphragm as it pushes the air out of your lungs. Use a simple 4-2-4 count, which is done by inhaling for four seconds, and then pause briefly for two seconds, and exhale for four seconds.
• As you perform diaphragmatic breathing, focus on your breathing and the belly movement.
• To develop your new breathing pattern subconsciously, repeat the sequence ten times and the process thrice a day.
Ways To Inhale Weed
With the advent of innovation, inhaling weed goes beyond traditional means. Cannabis users can now choose from different smoking methods based on their personal preferences.
Here are the different ways to inhale weed:
• Joints: It’s a traditional way of smoking weed using regular rolling papers, hemp made papers, or any specialty paper.
• Filters: Filters are made of a small piece of cardboard rolled into the joint’s end that the mouth touches, allowing you to filter out smoke, tar, and other particles.
• Papers, Blunts, and Wraps: A true blunt refers to a special cigar wrapped in a blunt wrap made of tobacco leaves. For cannabis smokers, a blunt pertains to a big joint.
Blunt cigars can be used to wrap weed. Papers, wraps, and blunts come in different sizes.
• Bowls: Some examples of bowls are pipes, bubblers, and steam cleaners, which are usually made of glass to inhale weed.
• Bongs: Bongs are similar to bowls or pipes, except with a water chamber that cools down smoke for a gentle weed inhalation.
• Vape: It’s an electronic device with a heating coil and chamber to fill with cannabis e-juice or finely ground marijuana.
To avoid coughing and other unwanted effects on your lungs, use a carbon filter in your smoking devices. This way, you’ll be able to filter contaminates, resin, and tar.
Also, grinding the weed using a high-quality grinder can help you achieve a smoother cannabis smoking experience. The technique of drawing cannabis smoke, diaphragmatic breathing, also helps smoke weed more effectively. This is because it allows the smoke to flow gently into the lungs without too much heat and weed.