Support for Magento 1 halted in 2020. With the end of support comes security vulnerabilities and subpar performance. If you’re still running on Magento 1, it’s time to move on to the next version. This article will cover everything you need to know about Magento 2 migration.
Migrating From Magento 1 to Magento 2: Your Options
Before you learn how to migrate your store, you must familiarize yourself with the three routes you can take.
If you have solid technical skills, you can use the Magento Migration Tool to move your store from the old version to the new one. Ask yourself if you are entirely comfortable with all the steps involved. Losing essential data and disrupting code are two things you do not want to do. If you’re confident with your tech knowledge, back up your files and fix your code and corrupted data before migrating.
Automated migration tools are available if you search for them. They’ll help you move your product, order, and customer data, among other things. Although this might seem a viable option, consider the possibility of something going wrong. Do you have the knowledge to fix things if they don’t go smoothly?
The final option you have is to let a professional handle your migration. Sure, there are costs associated with this one, but you’re sure of a smooth process from start to finish. Contact a certified Magento developer with excellent reviews. You don’t want your data corrupted or lost.
How to Migrate Your E-store to Magento 2
Are you happy with your online presence? How about the performance of your website? If you can picture things improving, you should rethink the design, features, and functionalities of your e-store. Additionally, this is an excellent opportunity to discover new marketing opportunities and improve brand visibility, customer service, and lead conversion. Let’s discuss the six crucial steps to migrate your e-store from Magento 1 to Magento 2.
Review Your Current State
Figure out what you want to keep and remove from your existing store. You’ll want to remove outdated or malfunctioning elements that no longer serve their purpose. Unnecessary add-ons will affect your site’s speed and performance.
Prepare for Migration
Follow the steps below to prepare for migration:
- Back up your database and files.
- Clone your existing store so that it continues functioning during the migration.
- Check if your themes, codes, and add-ons will work appropriately on Magento 2.
- In a new environment, transfer your cloned database to a staging server and migrate your replica to Magento 2.
- Remove any unnecessary items from your database, such as logs.
- Test your newly migrated store.
If everything runs as it should, proceed with migration by doing the following:
- Disconnect the data migration tool from your Magento 1 and Magento 2 databases.
- Stop all activities on Magento 1, with the exception of order management.
- Stop all Magento 1.x cron tasks.
- Using the data migration tool, move your settings and website over to Magento 2.
- Migrate your media files and database to the new version.
- On Magento 2, reindex your indexers.
Update Migrated Data
If you have any changes to make to your return policy, catalog, product descriptions, and more, now is the time to do it. Focus on optimizing your store’s performance.
Migrate Incremental Data
Capture any updates from your Magento 1 store under Delta mode and move everything to Magento 2. This move will transfer your customer profiles, reviews, and orders to ensure a personalized shopping experience.
Launch Your New E-store
It’s go time. Here are the steps for launching your Magento 2 site:
- Put your Magento 1 site on maintenance mode.
- Put the system’s incremental updates on hold.
- Reindex the indexers on Magento 2.
- Confirm that the migrated store is running smoothly.
- Fine-tune the load balancers and DNS.
Magento 2 brings improved performance, mobile-friendly interfaces, streamlined checkout processes, and more. You do not want to miss out on the outstanding features of this new version. For the best migration results, get in touch with your preferred Magento developer today.