Medical care equipment is used in hospitals, nursing homes, home care centers and even homes for monitoring and taking care of the health of patients. Maintaining them is highly essential if we wish to avoid any kind of accidents and injuries to the machine handlers as well as the patients.
According to an article by ResearchGate, medical equipment related injuries are among the top ten types of injuries every year. Therefore, hospitals and healthcare providers need to ensure that their medical devices are reliable, safe, and operating accurately.
The key to ensuring the safety of all involved in the handling and usage is to buy medical equipment online from reputable store, say experts at SurgicalSupplies.us. It’s always best to buy quality medical equipment from trusted suppliers—it’s a guarantee that it’ll last and conform to the highest standards during usage. For example, KNF, the supplier of diaphragm pumps, takes pride in providing first-rate pumps since 1946.
This should be followed up by the continuous monitoring of the equipment and carrying out of the necessary modifications when required.
Why is Maintenance of Medical Equipment Necessary?
Smooth running of a health center or a laboratory or a medical care center requires optimum functioning of all the medical care equipment. Maintenance is not only important for the safety purposes but also for the effectiveness of the services provided by using these machines.
Proper maintenance of medical equipment helps ensure that it’s functioning correctly and delivering accurate results. This is especially important for diagnostic equipment, such as CT scanners and X-ray machines, which needs to be calibrated regularly so that it produces accurate images. Regular maintenance of medical equipment can also help extend its lifespan, saving the cost of replacing it prematurely.
Maintenance can be preventive or corrective. Preventive maintenance aids in smooth functioning and timely identification of problems while corrective maintenance calls for repair or rectification after a machine has broken down or not running properly.
More importantly, many medical facilities are required to follow strict regulations and guidelines for the maintenance of medical equipment. This includes keeping accurate records of maintenance and repairs as well as adhering to specific maintenance schedules.
Tips for Maintaining Medical Care Equipment
Failure of machines or faulty equipment besides incorrect settings or usage were some of the reasons that could harm patients, according to the UK National Patient Safety Agency. Such situations can be avoided by providing proper education to the technicians using the machines and equipment besides carrying out regular checks.
Each piece of medical equipment should have a manual that outlines the recommended maintenance schedule and procedures. Following these guidelines is important so as to ensure that the equipment is properly maintained. Here are some tips for maintaining your durable medical equipment.
• Proper Usage: Use your machines in accordance with the guidelines provided by the manufacturer. And in case of any doubts, do get in touch with the suppliers. Improper usage of any machinery can not only harm the technicians but also the patients.
• Enter Maintenance Contracts: The best way to keep your medical equipment and tools in perfect condition is to enter into maintenance contracts by professional technicians. This will ensure timely and regular inspection and early detection of any faults or damage to the machines.
• In-House Maintenance: This involves regular cleaning besides ensuring that the machines are shut down and started properly. This is possible if the technicians handling it are trained about it. So when you buy your medical equipment online, do follow it up with training sessions for your technicians to allow them to understand the proper working of the machines and tools.
• Awareness of Warranties: Do check with your equipment supplier about the warranties that come with the machines and tools purchased by you. Certain conditions like timely maintenance may be attached to the warranty for a machine. The hospital should keep an accurate record of the warranties.
• Regular Inspections: Regularly inspecting medical equipment can help identify any issues early on. Early detection is beneficial, as it allows for timely repairs and maintenance.
You can get superior quality medical equipment online. However, this is not enough. It is equally important to know how to maintain these devices to keep them operating at the desired level of performance.