Mental calmness is what defines ‘peace of mind.’
Achieving this can be hard if you have so much to think about, it can be the loss of someone you loved or the loss of your job, it could be personal or familial issues, financial crisis, or even breakups. It’s like trying to calm an ocean with your hands grasping the water, it will never work!
Having control over your emotions and strengthening your attention will surely help you calm your mind. In this article, I want to help you achieve peace of mind with these magical methods.
What Is Peace of Mind Exactly?
Before we dive into the methods, let’s define peace of mind.
Peace of mind is a mental state where you obtain calmness of your mind and emotions. It’s basically the state where no thoughts of anxiety about the future and worries about the past creep into your mind. Achieving this means you are living in the present.
It is important to remember that you can’t fix all your problems in just a blink of an eye, but the good news is, you can train your mind to provide and create a solution that you can use to overcome any setbacks in your life.
13 Methods to Find Peace of Mind
1. Practice meditation.
The most effective way to ensure long-lasting peace of mind is by practicing meditation. Meditation will allow you to calm your mind and prevent you from having stressful thoughts.
Studies have shown that meditation can have a significant effect on our neurological structure. Meditation activates the part of our brain responsible for resting and increases our ability to cope with stress. Meditation also gives us several essential benefits such as reducing anxiety level, stress, as well as increasing our attention-span.
How to Meditate
A 15-30-minute meditation per day is a good way to achieve everyday mindfulness. Below are steps on how to meditate.
- Try to achieve 5 to 10 minutes simple seated meditation. Sit on a chair or a cushion while your eyes are closed.
- Be sure that you have proper posture by straightening your back.
- Focus on your breathing. Take 100 inhalations and an equal number of exhalations.
- Empty your mind from any thoughts that can trigger anxiety and worry.
Health Benefits of Meditation
Here are some of the health benefits of meditation that will make you want to try it.
- Boosts your immunity: Daily muscular and mental relaxation is known to boost immunity in cancer patients and helps with the development of cancer-killer cells.
- Balances your emotion: Meditation helps to ensure good mental and emotional health.
- Lowers your blood pressure and stress: Meditation can make your body produce stress hormones which can have a significant effect on the way your body copes with stress, it also lowers your blood pressure.
- Good for fertility: A study has shown that daily meditation can help increase fertility in women and increase sperm count in men.
2. Mind your own business.
Seriously, minding your own business and not others’ is a good practice to achieve peace of mind. Why? Mainly because when you start getting concerned about other things that don’t concern you, you create negativity that will eventually disturb your peace of mind.
So, next time some unnecessary thought creeps into your mind, ask yourself, “Is this really something I should be concerning myself with?” If not, then get over it right away.
3. Completely remove media distractions.
Different media categories such as television, magazines, newspapers, radio and the internet have a significant effect on our thoughts, opinions, and decisions about certain things.
For example, when you’re watching a horror or action movie during bedtime, your mind creates questions, theories, and expectations on how the movie should end. Studies have shown that watching TV is linked to loneliness, which is a contributing factor to depression.
To avoid this, here are some certain media distractions that you should avoid:
- Reduce the time you spend on watching TV.
- Avoid certain types of aggressive music.
- Avoid late-night movie marathons.
- TV and newspaper news give a lot of negativity, avoid them.
- Learn that some things cannot be changed, accept things for what they are. Worrying will only make you waste time and energy.
- Avoid being caught up in any political or societal development issues. This will only distract your mind stressing about solutions.
- Stay away from all kinds of negativity.
4. Positivity, Positivity, Positivity.
Good vibes are infectious, so it is good practice to surround yourself with positive conversation and positive people, let their positivity infect you.
Don’t let other people’s negative comments distract you and define you, dealing with this will only cause you to stress more and more about it.
5. Create daily personal goals.
Prioritizing and devoting your time to achieving the things you want will surely give you a boost to get it all done. It’s good practice to make time for your goals, this will surely give you a satisfied and happy life.
6. Let go of Grudges and the past.
Holding on to grudges will never give you peace of mind. Let go of the emotional baggage from the past, it will only drag you down and keep you away from the chances of seeing a better future. The most important thing to do is to forgive.
I know it’s not easy to forgive the people who let us down in the past but forgive not just for them but also for yourself. Certain things that happened cannot be undone, remember that. When you forgive, you’re allowing yourself to create and maintain inner peace and harmony.
7. Take a nature walk.
The simplest way to achieve peace of mind is to go out there and take a walk to the nearest park or discover some new places you’ve never been to. This will give your mind inner peace and inner harmony.
Studies have shown that taking a nature walk can add positive impacts on the disposition of bad memories, and promote physical and mental health.
8. Remember that you can’t always keep everyone happy.
Logically speaking, people give something to other people and expect appreciation and love from them.
Being oversensitive will not get you anything, take a positive action in everything that you do that can affect the people around you as well as the relationship that you have with them.
9. Be patient.
Every day, we meet people who do things that will make us upset or angry, but it is a good idea to have tolerance and patience with them. Don’t let them ruin your day; know that you can’t change them.
Don’t allow these clowns to rob you of your peace of mind.
10. Don’t get easily offended.
In creating inner peace and harmony, it is important to consider a certain level of disconnection to the things that might offend you.
If you’re upset or angry about certain things, it’s a bad idea to stress about it on social media, writing hate letters on online forums on the internet. Below is a list of ways through which you can stop being so easily offended.
- Talk to yourself: Yes, talking to yourself about being offended is the easiest way. Ask yourself these questions:
“Is this something I should be worrying about?”
“Is this really a big deal?”
“Does it really matter?”
Internalize that word can’t hurt you anyways, words are just words.
- Detachment is important: People may feel rejected when they share their thoughts and opinions with others and eventually get hurt. Learn not to take things serious and know that negative words can’t define you.
- Humility and Equanimity: It is important to have humility because it will make you immune to offenses and help you achieve peace of mind.
- Accept the Truth: As they say, the truth will set you free. Learn to accept the truth than choosing to be on the right side.
- Nobody is perfect: Accepting people’s imperfections and lowering your level of expectations is important in achieving life’s happiness and getting emotional strength. Learn self-growth.
Detaching yourself from the unnecessary things can increase your level of inner calmness.
11. Be a volunteer.
Studies have shown that volunteering has a significant effect on your well-being for both physical and mental welfare. Volunteer for your local animal shelters, environmental clean-up drive or local poor feeding events.
These are the things that you should consider before you decide to volunteer:
- Benefit: Knowing what you want to get from volunteering, whether it’s for your learning experience or establishing a connection with the people you’re helping, volunteering is about giving.
- Give: Knowing the things that you can give will determine if the volunteering project is worth your while.
- Time: Know how much time you can commit.
- Opportunity: Discover available opportunities that you can get from it.
- People: Ask other volunteers, this might spark a connection between you and them and also make you acquire new knowledge about the opportunity.
Helping someone is one of the life’s most rewarding and worthwhile experiences that will help you establish and maintain inner peace and harmony.
12. Stop worrying about what other people think about you.
Comparing yourself to other people will only make you strive for more self-insecurities that will destroy you. Jealousy is dangerous, having jealousy can make you suspect and blame others for the offenses they didn’t even commit, stay away from it as soon as possible, mainly because it destroys relationships.
Don’t live your life pleasing others, live to please and impress yourself. To achieve peace of mind in your daily life, practice the ability to tolerate other people’s opinion and remember that those words don’t define who you are.
Here’s a simple trick on how to end chronic worrying:
- Create a worry-list.
- Categorize your worry-list into productive and unproductive. Productive is the ones where you can find a solution right now while unproductive are the ones with no solution or things that can make them right.
- Identify the things that will never go back to normal, accept them and eventually get over them.
- Do things that you think you can’t do and be comfortable with it. Worriers tend to think that they can’t handle discomforts.
- Look for advantages and disadvantages of urgent things, this will reduce anxiety.
- Cry and let it all out. It is okay to cry sometimes, it’s our body’s mechanism to lessen the heavy burden that will eventually fade away as time goes by.
- Root the problem. By simply talking about it and digging out the root of the problem, it will eventually fade.
13. Always remember that you are not unlucky.
“Your luck is how you treat people,” as they say. Remember one thing: it’s always about sunshine and rainbows, some days are just bad days, but it doesn’t mean you have a bad life. Bad luck happens to me, to her, to him, to everyone.
If you are having a bad day, check out this 36 Positive Quotes That’ll Turn Around a Bad Day.
The secret on how to achieve peace of mind is living in the present and letting go of the past. Patience, hard work and willingness to achieve your goals are the keys to success.
The key to finding peace of mind is avoiding oversensitivity about the negative things and issues around us, developing the ability of not looking back into the past, and accepting the fact that some things are not going to be the way we want it to be.
“Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Achieving peace of mind can change your outlook on everything, increase your stress tolerance, and help you achieve a happy and fulfilled life. So, you might as well practice the essential methods on how to win inner harmony and peace.
So, stop worrying and live your life to the fullest!