When you believe something is going to work, it does work simply because belief has the power to make seemingly impossible things happen.
However, belief is also a double-edged sword.
Unshakeable positive belief can help you scale mountains. Unwanted belief, on the other hand, can throw you into the void of depression. In short, everything that happens in the universe begins with sheer determination.
You can unlock a plethora of accomplishments and lead a fulfilling life if you learn to harness the power of belief.
Harness the Power of Belief
Here are six ideas that will help you in this regard.
The path towards harnessing the power of your belief begins with self-honesty. Unfortunately, most people lack the courage to be honest with themselves. So, they spend their lives hiding from their dreams and desires.
You can’t harness the power of your belief if you continue to lie to yourself about everything, from seemingly innocuous facts to life-changing decisions.
Self-deception is one of the strongest survival instincts. However, when it turns into a habit, the consequences can be disastrous. When it reaches a toxic level, you start to live in perceived reality.
As a result, you start justifying your behavior increasingly. This can put a lot of stress on your personal and professional relationships, which in turn pushes you further away from reality.
How can you harness the power of belief if you refuse to acknowledge who you truly are? You simply cannot. That’s why you need to be completely honest with yourself.
- The first thing you need to do is recognize your achievements. Make it a point to display your awards and accolades in your bedroom, no matter how modest they seem, they will keep inspiring you.
- Recognizing your achievements is just half the equation. The other half includes identifying your flaws. No one is perfect. So, there is no need to hide your imperfections.
- You can laugh off minor shortcomings. However, you do need to find a way to overcome your serious flaws such as narcissism, dishonesty, and holding grudges.
Once you have recognized your true self, it will become easier to focus on the positive aspects of your life.
2. Positive Self-Talk
Your words are a direct reflection of your thoughts. They have the power to make or break your mental health. Winston Churchill understood the power of words. He wielded this power throughout his life, inspiring millions of people.
Some of his speeches and wartime writings continue to inspire people around the globe. You, however, don’t have to inspire millions with your words. All you have to do is use positive words to reinforce your thinking, that’s where positive self-talk comes in.
One of the simplest ways to create positive self-talk is through affirmation. An affirmation is a statement that indicates a positive outcome of your situation.
For example, saying “I will retire by the time I am 40” can actually help make it happen. However, this doesn’t mean you will automatically retire at 40, but it will encourage you to take the necessary steps to accomplish this goal.
- First, you need to be aware of negative thoughts. You will be surprised to find out how often they occupy your mind.
- Replace negative thoughts with positive affirmations, but be specific. Your affirmations should resonate with the visualization of your dreams and goals.
- Stay away from negative people because you need to protect your mind from outside influences that may knock your affirmations down.
- Your subconscious mind works in the present tense. So, compose your affirmations in present tense as well.
- Read your affirmations every night before going to bed or on waking up every morning. Read them with emotion and conviction. Keep your eyes closed and try to visualize your goals as you chant them.
3. Visualize Your Goals
Visualizing your goals, accomplishments or desires is the key to harnessing the power of belief.
The human mind is made of two parts, the conscious mind and the subconscious mind. Logical thinking is the primary responsibility of the conscious or rational mind. It can distinguish between good and bad, right and wrong, and true and false.
The subconscious mind, on the other hand, can’t think on its own. However, when the conscious mind presents it with the same thought for a long period of time, it starts taking steps to turn it into reality.
The only way to communicate with your subconscious mind is through visualization. When you visualize your goal, your mind begins to see the possibility of making it happen.
- To visualize, you need a quiet spot where nobody will disturb you, at least for a few minutes. The ideal time to practice this is at night just before going to bed or every morning as soon as you wake up.
- You can sit in Padmasana, lie on the bed or sit in a chair. Just make sure you are comfortable.
- Keep your eyes closed and take deep breaths. Try to relax every muscle in your body.
- Clear your mind and start focusing on a specific goal or a desired outcome. For example, if your goal is to learn swimming, you first need to visualize yourself putting on your swimsuit and heading to the pool.
- Now, imagine yourself getting ready to dive into the swimming pool. Look at how synchronous your body movements are. Feel the sound and touch of water. In other words, try to add as much detail as possible to bring your visualization closer to reality.
- Once you have accomplished the desired task, (in this case, swimming to the other side of the pool without failing) allow your mind to return to reality slowly.
Though it sounds simple, visualization requires consistent practice and patience. At first, your mind will wander, but don’t let this discourage you.
Start with a simple goal that you want to accomplish until you have strengthened your visualization skills completely. The ideal time limit is anywhere between 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Detach Yourself from Past Negative Experiences
Rigid attachment to past negative experiences in your life is a major hurdle in harnessing the power of belief. As mentioned earlier, negative external influences and memories can make it difficult to concentrate on the good things in your life.
More often than not, your mind flips through past experiences to deal with a similar situation in the present. Thus, your attachment to them can play a decisive role in shaping your present and your future.
The more you dwell on negative memories, the more bitter your attitude towards life becomes. Letting go of your past, however, increases the likelihood of allowing new opportunities to come your way.
- Try to identify the areas of attachment in your life. What type of emotional response do they generate? Do they make you angry or perhaps make you feel depressed?
- Find out the attachment pattern to bring about the desired change. When you dig deeper, you will automatically find the reason why you should detach yourself from a particular memory.
- Release the emotions related to the painful memory. Write about it, cry it out or do whatever you like. Just get it out of your system.
- Learn to embrace uncertainty. It is a part of your life because nothing in this universe will last forever.
- As you stop going back to your past, your mind will need something to look forward to. So, seek out new openings and opportunities in your personal as well as professional life.
- Practice forgiveness as it plays a crucial role in detachment, especially when it comes to relationships that ended on a bitter note. Forgive the people responsible for them and most importantly, forgive yourself.
A fair warning though, detachment requires almost twice as much hard work as attachment. In fact, it can be downright painful at first, but the outcome is well worth the effort.
5. Raise Your Consciousness
Self-awareness is the ideal state in which you should plant the seeds of your belief. It is a state of your mind that goes well beyond the usual clutter of thoughts, emotions, and memories. Simply put, it involves listening to your inner self.
Raising your consciousness can lead to you having a broadened perception of your surroundings. Thus, it can improve your overall emotional health, including resilience, consciousness, compassion, and peace of mind.
All these factors can help you harness the power of your belief.
- Meditation is one of the most effective ways to raise your consciousness. You don’t need any fancy equipment or place to meditate. However, meditation is ineffective if it lacks consistency.
- The best time to meditate is early morning, preferably before sunrise when your surroundings are as fresh as your mind. Just 10 to 15 minutes of meditation is enough to keep you going for the day.
- Another great way is to chant a mantra or a verse that makes you feel happy and clears your mind of random thoughts. You can chant it while you go about your morning activities.
- Music can also have a significant effect on your consciousness. Listening to uplifting music (instrumentals or songs) can help remove pessimistic thoughts and memories.
6. Always Keep an Open Mind
To harness the power of your belief, you have to keep an open mind. Usually, beliefs are nothing but perceptions of life based on your experiences and understanding of your surroundings.
So, your beliefs need to evolve as the circumstances change. Unfortunately, most people take their beliefs about reality as the ultimate truth. As a result, they seldom question their beliefs.
Take religious beliefs for example, most people accept them as facts, so they don’t question them. That’s why rigid beliefs are usually self-limiting.
If you fail to realize that certain assumptions you had at a younger age no longer exist or haven’t evolved over time, you are less likely to recognize the new opportunities coming your way.
You may have your entire life planned according to your beliefs in your twenties, but things may not always go the way you want them to. However, open-mindedness allows you to burst through false perceptions that may hold you back forever.
- Learn to step out of your comfort zone. Close-minded people have a habit of staying within their comfort zone. Whether it is physical activity or a mental exercise, try something new. Go on a blind date or check out a nearby restaurant that opened a few weeks ago.
- Don’t be judgmental. Avoid expressing your opinion about things you have never even tried.
- Try to communicate with people from different countries, religions, and cultures. Understand their lifestyle, religious beliefs, and social customs. It doesn’t mean you have to change your opinion, you just need to listen and observe.
- Close-minded people are the best faultfinders, they always tend to point out the drawbacks or negative aspects of a situation. Open-minded people, on the other hand, can find something positive in almost any situation.
- Traveling is also a great way to broaden your horizons. You can meet complete strangers, make new friends, and even collect life-changing experiences. If you have a small budget, explore new places a few hours away from your city.
- Another budget-friendly way to become a broad-minded person is by reading. You can read virtually anything you can find, including fiction, non-fiction, autobiographies, newspapers, and magazines. Join a local library or a book club.
Open-mindedness teaches that your inner-self has no boundaries at all. Self-limiting beliefs can cause more harm than good. So, you need to replace your self-limiting beliefs with evolving ones.
Almost everyone is brought up with a set of beliefs and values. The power of your mind can turn seemingly impossible goals into reality. Thus, you can lead a happy and successful life.
However, most people fail to realize the significance of their beliefs. The tips mentioned above will not only help you understand their importance but also show you how to harness the power of your beliefs.
Which tricks did you use to unlock the power of your higher mind?