It is very important to continuously improve ourselves, mainly because each time we learn from our mistakes, we gain progress, and we take a step that leads us to a better, happier, and fulfilled life.
Then one day, in the future, we will look back and see how much we’ve grown as a person. If we’re truly serious about boosting and expanding our personal capacity, we need to accept and address the different limitations that could be an obstacle to our self-growth and improvement.
In this article, I will show you some ways to better yourself by expanding your personal space.
What is Self-growth?
In order for us to achieve a contented life and growth in the different aspects of our life, such as physical, mental, and spiritual, we need to improve our self-knowledge level constantly.
You can always find new experiences and new things that can contribute to the growth of your individuality, because self-growth is a never-ending process, no matter what the circumstances are, we will always grow to become a better person. Personal growth defines and shapes who we are as a person.
What are the areas of Self-growth?
Listed below are the different aspects that will show and define the core traits of an individual.
Our body is our vessel that defines who we are and has a significant role in sharpening our personality and trait. It makes us unique. How you take care of your body defines your individuality.
Our mental aspect is responsible for how we think, how we express ourselves and how we administer our judgment to different life decisions. We continuously learn and acquire new knowledge that can help us to grow as a person and appreciate meaningful things. Those things have a significant effect on our lives, our careers and hobbies.
Spirituality is one of the most important aspects that contribute to our self-growth and our personality. It builds our character and evaluates us at the deepest and spiritual level. To find inner peace and harmony, people practice this during prayers or meditation which leads them to question their life existence.
Socialization involves building relationships with other people. During the different stages of our lives, we tend to choose the people who we want to spend time with, like family, friends or a partner. Life is a never-ending bond development with the people who share the same interests and experiences with us.
Self-growth is achieved by progressing and balancing the different aspects of our lives, whether it’s physical, mental, spiritual, or social, everything matters significantly.
How to Expand Your Personal Space for Self-Growth
1. Allow yourself to face new challenges in life.
Imagine this like building muscle, to grow and build your muscle mass, you need to try lifting heavier weights in order to achieve progress in each workout session and for your body to get used to the stress that contributes to your muscle growth. Expanding your personal space is pretty much more like that.
Nothing is easy, but once you begin, you get used to the things or problems that life may throw at you, you will become a stronger and better person. If you choose to remain stagnant in your comfort zone, nothing will change, you will not grow. If you find yourself doing things that are not helping you to grow as a person, shake things up a little bit, get out of there, embrace and face different challenges!
Here are the tips that you should know that can help you to face different life challenges.
- Face Reality: Facing reality is one way to accept things and to enjoy a fulfilling life. When we invest in ourselves, in reality, we tend to learn new ways to deal with our lives.
- Want what you have and do not want what you don’t have: Embrace all the negativity in life and change them into positivity. That way, you can appreciate and value the things that teach you great lessons in life.
- Go slow: Life is not a race, take your time. It is okay to make mistakes, but always remember that you should learn from them in order for you to grow.
- Be grateful: Accept life’s troubles and practice gratitude. This will help you to see the world in a different perspective. Failure is always a part of your life’s journey, remember that.
2. Live in the present.
If you’re living in the past, you will never achieve self-growth, it keeps you away from seeing the better and brighter future. So, get rid of the burden of the past and learn from those experiences. Learn how to accept things and move on.
Pay full attention to living your life, not tomorrow or yesterday, but today. You might think of planning for the future, that’s okay but always open yourself to different possibilities that could happen, live without expectations, in that way, you will never be disappointed.
Always remember, the past and the future, it is just our imagination, the real deal is the present, the now.
3. Learn self-care.
The physical and mental aspects of our lives can gravely affect the development of who we are and our self-improvement, so it is a great idea to take care of yourself. Putting someone else first is okay, but think about yourself for a moment. Maybe caring too much for other people will not get you to your goals in life. Having self-care doesn’t only help you become healthy, but it can also help you to unwind, and manage any health issues.
Here are some strategies to achieve self-care:
- Lend some time to it: Make time for yourself every day, get some “Me” time, even if it’s just a few minutes or an hour. This will help you relax and de-stress. Don’t let other people distract you during your “Me” time.
- Make a list of your activities: You can do different activities such as reading self-love books, watching a movie, exercising, swimming, hiking, camping, playing sports and so much more.
- Divert your attention away from your problems: I know it can be hard for you not to think about your problems, but trust me, stop thinking about it for a while. You can get rid of those by doing puzzles, reading a book, or gardening. Keep yourself busy and focus on the things you love to do.
So, start engaging yourself in a healthy lifestyle.
4. Learn and discover new things.
Gaining new experiences is significant in self-improvement and self-growth. Try to practice or learn new things every day, this will not only let you gain knowledge, but it can also make you feel good and fulfilled.
Here are some suggestions that you should probably try:
- Learn a new language: One of the most exciting and mind-opening experiences is learning a new language, it might be Japanese, Chinese, French, Spanish, or Filipino, the list goes on and on, it’s your own choice. This will not only help you to gain new skills but it will also promote the discovery of different cultures, traditions, and values which might help you to achieve self-growth.
- Find new hobbies: If your hobby is playing the piano, expand it and learn how to play different instruments such as guitar, drums, or cello. With the latter, learning a string instrument makes a good accompaniment to your piano, you can choose from an array of cellos for sale and start learning a new instrument. Finding new hobbies or recreational activities can help you to stretch the different aspects of your life, whether mentally, spiritually, socially or physically. It’s like playing RPG games, when you gain new experiences, you level up, and when you level up, you become better, and when you become better, you can do anything.
- Join different clubs or classes: Find courses, workshops or clubs that suit your interests, this will not only help you to expand your social circle by building new friendships, but it is also a great way to acquire new skills and knowledge. Step out of your comfort zone. Get that online criminal justice bachelor degree if you have a heart towards criminal justice and security. Never stop learning. Never stop growing.
- Wake up early: Surprisingly, studies show that waking up early in the morning, like 5-6am can improve your life’s quality and productivity.
- Redecorate your room: Your environment reflects who you are, if your place is untidy, messy or dull people might think that you’re a careless or boring person. So, it’s great practice to create an environment that can inspire you and the people around you.
- Create a Life Handbook: It basically means manual of your life, it contains all the essential ways on how to live your life to the fullest. Write down your goals, purpose, and learned values. Having this will guide you to making progress in self-growth.
5. Face your fears.
Every person has their own fears. To tell you, my friend, fear is a poison in our lives, it kills our dreams and keeps us away from improving and growing ourselves. Think of fear as a pointing arrow to a better future, address all the fears that you have, this will help you grow.
Here are some essential tips on how to conquer your fears:
- Calm yourself down: It might be hard for you to think when you’re in the grip of feeling scared about something. Try to relax and calm yourself down.
- Let the fear shrink: To do that, talk about it with your friends, family or someone you can trust.
- Easy and slowly: Smaller chunks are easy to manage, try to break it down into small pieces. For example, if you’re scared of crowds, try to find and walk among smaller crowds like a queue and if you did achieve that, level up yourself by going to a sporting event.
Fear may not go away, but if you keep on facing them, you will learn how to manage it.
6. Stop worrying about the opinion of others.
To accept and become yourself fully, you need to avoid being affected by what other people might think of you, or how they might judge you. Stop thinking about disappointing other people, remember that you did what you need to do and every person has their own limitation or simply, nobody is perfect. Stop setting yourself to certain ideals and standards by your parents, society, media, or peers.
Once you’ve learned how not to pretend and be yourself, you can experience real happiness and expand personal space that will contribute to your self-improvement.
7. Learn that failure is part of your success.
One of my favorite quote says…
“Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is a delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.” – Denis Waitley
No one wants to lose, but accepting the failures is the key to your growth and success. People learn from mistakes and failures, it’s molding us to become a better person. If you avoid making mistakes, you can’t take risks, and you will never grow.
Open yourself to failures, embrace them.
8. Be good and kind.
Showing kindness and good manners is the best thing you could give to a person. Be kind to others, who knows, they could be a part of your life and help you during different life’s difficulties. Infect them with your kindness and good manners; it will surely make them do the same for you.
We tend to learn from every person we meet during our lifetime, it is never too late for you to change. Allow yourself to savor every aspect of learning, this will make you become a more interesting, attractive and approachable person and it also expands your personal space for a better and fulfilled life.
Self-growth and self-improvement are one of life’s never-ending processes, and that also includes learning, which plays a big role in expanding our personal capacity to adapt to the different challenges life may throw at us.
Being a better and stronger person is about accepting failures or mistakes, learning from them and using them as fuel to strive for success and growth.