Over the years, Skype has been enabling its users to stay in touch with friends, family and business partners, via video calls and chats. Be it family chats, group or business meetings Skype has consistently provided the platform and functional features for communication.
Windows PC users can download “Skype for Windows” from Microsoft’s Skype website; aside from just downloading the App, there is a great support platform that has constant updates on what’s new on Skype.
Over the past months, Skype has consistently rolled out new features and updates that should enhance every user’s Skype experience. These updates are available and compatible with your Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7, XP 64-bit, Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8, Windows 8 64-bit, Windows 10, and Windows 10 64-bit.
With the constant new updates, Users can easily share files, react to messages, get to your calls and conversations at light speed and a ton of other cool features on Skype that I’ll be discussing below:
Get to calls and conversations faster with this update so calls and conversations are enabled at a faster speed with up 50 members in a group, start new conversations, click on your profile and check the dial pad from the top of your recent conversations. Where you have a group calls with over 25 participants, your call can come in ringless, as opposed to ringing everyone in a group, they’ll receive a notification that the meeting has started and can jump in when they’re ready.
And for those unwanted calls, you have the option to block the number right from the chat. While on an ongoing call, there is an added option to Blur Background for all calls under the audio and video settings. There is an easier access to video settings which enables you to send quick one-to-one messages during group calls by right-clicking on the person and select send message to open a chat with only them in the side panel.
Adjust your audio and video settings as it best suit your needs with either of the three microphone mode settings available; Built-in Microphone, Skype Interview, and Default Device.
Skype enables subtitles for your calls by providing the option to have your calls transcribed for both users communicating. There is a list of over Forty-Five languages form which you can select to be your default spoken language and translated language. This feature goes a long way in solving any issue a user might experience with regards to language barrier when communicating.
Another call feature is that instead of putting a call on hold when you have another incoming, you now have the option to merge your calls. You also now have the option to receive email notifications for missed calls or messages. From your profile picture, you can select Settings, and then Notifications, under the E-Mail Notifications toggle on the options to receive Missed call reminders and Missed Message reminders. You could also receive your SMS messages in Skype if you have a Skype Number with Caller ID set up.
Photos, videos, and other files can be shared directly to Skype to enable you easily share files, videos, photos, links and more directly to Skype from your Windows, simply click on the Windows share charm, and select Skype. You can also drop files or media into a chat and preview them before sending it. Also, make use of the new shortcut to resize camera preview using Ctrl+Shift+J keys. During video calls, you can simply hover over the ca to quickly access your most used settings.
New message reactions by simply tapping on the reaction icon next to any message or video call, you can now easily express how you feel at any time. You can likewise choose from a list of mood messages that match how you fell at the time and change out the emoticon to match with the Quick sign out updates, users can quickly sign out from the footer on your PC; this feature update also has an appearance settings for theme and color you can now save after you can sign out.
Another new feature that enhances messaging is you can increase or decrease the width of your chat panel during an ongoing call to give your instant messages a bit more space.
Generally, connect more by syncing your address book with your Skype contact so you can connect even more.
Other key features and updates available on your Skype for Windows PC include:
- Performance improvements
- Keyboard shortcuts guide
- Skype version notice on the sign-in screen
- New setting for a secondary ringing device
- The enhanced setting for advanced webcam
- Setting for incoming call notifications when in Do Not Disturb mode
- Ability to easily switch between cameras
- Full-screen video calling on desktop
- Separate Skype volume control on Mac
- Ability to find within the current conversation
- Setting to change the font size on a desktop
- Easily share a Skype contact
- Save photos and files automatically to a designated folder on your computer;
- Make calls and send messages to mobile phones or landlines;
- Ability to buy a Skype number
- Use any location on your display
- Support for webcam and microphones
- Hide your personal information option
- Close or delete your Microsoft account.
- Customize “Enter” or “Return” to send a message or add a line
- Save-as for audio files like the mp3 feature
- Ability to hide conversations in chat list
- Setting to disable link previews
- In current conversations, you get over 30 results for Find
- Option to automatically download incoming files
- Ability to drag and drop to share files and contacts
- Ability to add a phone number as a contact
- New customize options for your profile
- Cool customizable interface
These exciting feature updates are sure to make communication easier than ever for you to stay in touch with your contacts using your Windows device.