Sun, sand, beaches, and more. If you are a pet parent, you will know what we are talking about. As someone who travels frequently with his pet, I can attest to the fact that I start planning for the summer season well in advance.
Most of our best bonding sessions and memories have been created on summer travels. Lazing around the pool in a pet-friendly Air BnB or soaking up the waves on a remote beach!
While summer spells all fun and games, there are some precautions you need to take for your pet. The higher temperatures, humidity, and air pollution might be more difficult for your pet to handle and manage.
In this article, we list five important ways you can take care of your pets during the upcoming summer season. However, before we get to the list of ways, it is best to understand how pets feel and experience differently during the summers. To help us understand this better, we speak to some leading veterinarians.
Summers and Health Issues in Pets: What you need to know
Leading vets point out that as compared to human beings, pets, especially dogs and cats respond differently to the summer season. The following are some things you need to know:
1. Human beings start sweating as the body acts naturally to eliminate the excess heat through sweat. Pets, on the other hand, do not sweat. In other words, their body’s natural defense against rising temperatures is lower than humans.
2. Overheating of the body is a common problem in pets. Even for walks during the summer season, vets recommend early mornings and late evenings as perfect periods.
3. Pets are often susceptible to rashes, infections, and other skin-borne ailments during the summer season. They cannot be given daily baths. This is why it is important to keep their skin as clean as possible.
4. The digestion of pets like dogs and cats suffers a lot during the summers and high temperatures. It is best that you only give them freshly prepared food to ensure that their digestion is working perfectly.
5. Ear infections and problems with the foot are real problems. The advent of flies and ticks during the summers is not something that your pet enjoys. Added precaution needs to be taken in this regard.
List of 5 Ways to take care of your Pets during the upcoming Summer Season
1. Keep them Hydrated at all times
Experts suggest that it is important to ensure that your pets are properly hydrated at all times of the day. They cannot express themselves in words when they are thirsty. A good idea is to keep a water bowl at an appropriate place at all times. Keep changing the water multiple times during the day. This will allow your pet to quench his or her thirst when they feel the need to.
If you are busy at work all day, buying an automatic water fountain can be a great choice.
2. Do not keep them in the car for very long
If you like traveling with your pet in a car, there are some issues that you need to take care of. You should not alter the temperature inside the car suddenly. For example, we tend to blast the ac after coming out of a location during the summers. Ensure that the temperature drops slowly and not suddenly. The same goes for your home as well.
3. Order in your Pet Supplies during the Summers
With several credible pet supplies shop in Singapore for example offering in-home deliveries, you should order if you live there. This is because pet supply stores are frequented by other animals. During summers others could be carrying diseases and infections, which you might not know about. Hence, it is always a good idea to keep your pet away from such places during the summer.
4. Ensure you do a Full Sanitization of your home (Pest Cleaning)
Like we stated, summers mean a lot of bugs, flies, and ticks. It also means lizards escape from their ground-dwelling and come up to the surface. It is important to get in touch with the pest cleaning services and do a complete sweep of the home at the beginning of the summer season. This will prevent your home from getting run over by these potentially lethal infestations.
5. Pay attention to your Pet’s paws, skin, and other vitals
You need to remember that your pet will not be able to communicate and tell you about their discomfort. This is why you must use your eyes and hands to go over every aspect of the pet’s body, especially the paws and skin. Any break of skin should be immediately addressed by taking them to the vet. Immediate attention will check any serious issues.
What are some ‘Vitals’ that you need to see on your pets during the summer season?
In this section, we list down some signs or vitals that you need to keep a tab on for your pet’s health and safety.
You must monitor the body temperature of your pets regularly. Dogs have a normal body temperature of anywhere between 100-degree Fahrenheit to 103-degree Fahrenheit. This means that if their body temperature is higher than that, you need to take action.
Look for signs like excessive drooling and panting. This means that your pet is experiencing severe heat. If this is not addressed, they can very easily get a heat stroke. Put them in a cool environment and give them water. This will bring the temperature down.
If your pet is vomiting or has diarrhea, you need to get in touch with your vet and start your pet on antibodies right away. They might have some stomach discomfort or indigestion issues.
Other signs like normal than redder gums or legs that are wobbling also mean that they are not alright. Catching the signs early means that the diagnosis can be done fast and the treatment can be started.
The Final Word
By following all the points mentioned in the article, you can ensure that you are adequately prepared for the upcoming summer season. If you wish to know about any of the points, feel free to drop your questions in the comments section below.