It is complicated to avoid using the Internet. It makes no sense, as it invades every sphere of your life. And to use it to the maximum, you should apply it to almost every channel you know for communication and business. But here, a reasonable question arises: how to make everything confidential? People have found the answer, so nowadays, we can apply proxy technologies with no hassle. What exactly are these technologies, and how can Soax help you get the most out of them?
How a proxy functions
Before discussing the example cases and benefits, we need to define the notion of proxy and describe the principles of their work.
First, let’s clear up what proxy means. This noun was initially implemented to describe a person having the authority to represent someone in a procedure (of voting, for example). The principal point is representation – acting as a middleman. Using this word in the context of modern technologies, we describe proxy servers as mediators. They stand between the requesters and the hosts they visit.
How the process happens:
1. A user browses something, which means making a request. Without a mediator, it goes directly to the web host. But with a proxy, a mediator server receives this request first.
2. The latter modifies the information that a request contains. It is necessary to provide confidentiality and data safety. The request then comes to a host with some kind of a signature that identifies a “middleman”.
3. The host gets the info and sends a response.
The route from the host to the user also happens through a mediating server. It provokes another question: why do we need to modify the info a request contains?
The mentioned notion of request does not refer to the search query we enter into the search engine to browse information. Instead, the info includes:
• your IP (identifies your location and device);
• your network info;
• the data you enter on a page (login, password, names, credit card numbers).
Keeping this data protected helps you secure your work, communication, life, and general privacy. Furthermore, the connection conducted through a proxy is faster and more reliable.
The gist of the work
“But how can mediation provide better security?” – may you ask. Well, just the same as you protect your private accounts with passwords, a proxy server protects your data. The metaphorical password suggests changes in IP and data encryption. The IP can be:
• hidden – the simplest option;
• changed once – a proxy just gives the false IP as a part of your request;
• rotated periodically – the servers change from time to time for no one to track your activity.
There is also an option of changing and hiding nothing. If so, mediating servers allow for the control and monitoring of a user’s activity.
What proxy types exist
Mediator classifications depend on the functionality you need and for what purpose you use the services. Thus, we can reveal the first typology from the previous point. Depending on how IPs are modified, there exist: anonymous, distorting, high-anonymity, and transparent proxies, respectively.
Then, it makes a difference what party is a customer of a mediation provider:
• a forward mediation works for a user;
• a reverse one serves to help the web host.
Finally, there is a division into residential and mobile proxies:
• the first suggests IPs are attached to some physical locations;
• the second means the mobile devices’ IPs are used.
Faux IPs are not fictional. Otherwise, web servers would not admit them as acceptable. Those addresses come from Internet service providers all over the globe. They should be verified to be real and provide proper functioning.
How to use servers
Proxy usage is a thing that allows for many variations in both personal and business contexts. You can benefit from a proxy if your business needs:
• Data collection – includes market research, competitors’ activity analysis, SEO monitoring, and other issues. It is possible to perform without mediation as well, but it will cause much more trouble. To avoid them, you can raise your privacy.
• Your sources improvement – enhancing your website means unloading the channels in the first turn. The more your page is available, the better impression you make.
• Ad verification – for controlling location-based marketing.
• Brand protection – to detect the counterfeits stealing your sales and audience. Often, it is complicated to reveal them with no proxy used.
Continue the list as you wish.
Finally, proxies are a versatile tool for numerous purposes. The main advantages include confidentiality, data safety, improved network performance, and control benefits. It’s up to you to implement these solutions to your specific situation. Soax is a reliable service ready to help you with setting and managing your proxy functionality. Go to the website to learn more, and enjoy your activities!