In the world of health and wellness, cannabidiol (CBD) is a natural trending ingredient that comes in various forms, such as CBD oil and tincture, CBD edibles, and CBD topical, like lotions, balms, and creams. But, what exactly is CBD, and how can it help people, most especially those who are suffering from pain, insomnia, and anxiety?
Learn more by reading below.
What Is CBD?
CBD is a non-psychoactive compound that’s found in cannabis and hemp plants (cannabis family). But, unlike cannabis, CBD that’s derived from hemp only has a small amount of THC. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is a cannabis compound that usually causes the “high” feeling.
Here are the good-to-know facts about CBD:
- Extraction Method: At the moment, the best CBD extraction method is carbon dioxide or CO2 extraction. It’s a safe extraction method that used 1071 PSI pressure and a temperature of more than 87.98 degrees Fahrenheit or 31.10 degrees Fahrenheit.
- THC Content: The THC content of CBD products is about 0.3 percent.
- Hemp Vs CBD Oil: Hemp oil and CBD oil are extracted from hemp plants but using different parts. As compared to hemp seed oil that comes from the seeds of hemp plants, CBD oil is extracted from the flowers, leaves, stem, and stalk. Additionally, unlike CBD oil, hemp oil doesn’t contain CBD, THC, terpene, or flavonoids.
- Legalities: With the passing of the 2018 Farm Bill, hemp farmers are provided with the support they need, and of course, there will be more CBD products available, but not necessarily legalizing all CBD products.
Take note that a cannabis product that has THC content above 0.3 percent is still considered illegal in many US states and countries.
- Common Uses: The common uses of CBD include reducing signs and symptoms, like pain relief, anxiety, nausea and vomiting, and heart disease, which will be discussed further below.
How Does It Help People?
CBD is more than just a trending health and wellness product – it comes in a variety of uses. It can help people find relief to signs and symptoms of different medical conditions, such as the following:
- Pain Relief
Many people use CBD as a substitute for dangerous medicines, like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs and opioids. A few examples of NSAIDs include aspirin and ibuprofen, which may cause unpleasant side effects and adverse effects, like ulcer, bleeding, heart attack, and kidney damage.
On the other hand, opioids may cause nausea, dizziness, constipation, and may lead to substance abuse and in the worse case, death due to respiratory depression.
Because most people are already aware of the negative effects of opioids and NSAIDs, many try to find alternative treatments for pain management, like switching to CBD oil. CBD is effective in managing pain, such as arthritic pain, back pain, fibromyalgia, neuropathic pain, and even pain caused by cancer.
- Reduce Stress and Anxiety
For people who are suffering from stress and anxiety, CBD is heaven-sent because of its relaxing effects. CBD reduces muscle tension and increases the production of serotonin, which is a happy or “feel-good” hormone.
It also helps people who have different types of anxiety, like social phobia, panic disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Nausea and Vomiting
According to a study, CBD has an antiemetic effect, which means that this cannabinoid can suppress nausea and vomiting.
Thus, CBD helps reduce the episodes of nausea and vomiting, most especially among HIV/AIDS and cancer patients who are undergoing multi-drug therapy and radiation.
- Treat Seizure
CBD can help manage epilepsy and other seizure disorders. In fact, an FDA-approved drug has been developed, which contains cannabidiol or CBD – Epidiolex.
It’s an oral preparation that would require a doctor’s prescription and used by epileptic patients and people with any other seizure disorder. This drug has been approved safe by the FDA for ages two years old and above.
Because CBD has calming effects, people who are suffering from insomnia or sleep disorders tend to have a more relaxed mood for sleep.
Also, the pain relief CBD provides reduces stress and anxiety that may cause difficulty going to sleep.
Now you’re more confident to discuss CBD with your friends and family because of the insights you’ve learned from this article. Of course, your understanding of the uses of CBD will help you make an informed decision when choosing the best CBD product for you and the appropriate treatment you want for it.